Physician Assistant Job In Mesa, Arizona
Physician Assistant - Trauma Surgery Job in Mesa, AZNext Steps... Apply Now Register Now
Advanced Surgical Associates (ASA) has an opening for a lead Physician Assistant (PA) in its Trauma / Surgical Critical Care Division. This position will collaborate with the trauma / critical care surgeons who staff the Trauma program at Banner Desert Medical Center (BDMC) / Cardon Children’s Medical Center (CCMC) and the Physician Assistants who deliver quality patient care to both trauma patients and those in the Surgical Critical Care service.
BDMC/CCMC is a community hospital with more than 600 licensed beds, of which 150 are devoted to pediatric patients. The hospital holds provisional designation as an Arizona Level I Adult Trauma Center and anticipates opening of its pediatric trauma program in the last quarter of 2017. Over the next couple years, BDMC/CCMC will seek separate American College of Surgeons Level II trauma center verifications for both Adult and Pediatric patients. BDMC/CCMC will become only the second Trauma Center capable of managing both Adult and Pediatric patients in the Phoenix metro area and expects adding more than 3200 patients to its trauma registry annually.
In conjunction with the Trauma Medical Director, the Lead PA will be responsible for developing daily schedules and policies and procedures. Additional responsibilities include:
- Operational management of the Team on a day-to-day basis as needed to ensure coverage of Trauma, ICU, OR, round and other essential activities.
- Overall leadership and management of the PA Team including professional development of PA staff.
- Participate in the hiring process for new PA hires including interviewing, performance management and training with the support of the trauma surgeons.
- Assist leadership with budgeting. Assist with performing semiannual performance reviews for the PAs and develop corrective action plans when needed
In addition to the leadership responsibilities, the Lead PA will be expected to work clinical shifts alongside the other PAs. In this role, duties include:
- Performing history and physical examinations of patients in both the inpatient and outpatient setting;
- Perform critical care rounds and procedures;
- Enter patient orders as directed by the surgeons;
- Review and discuss results of medical imaging and laboratory studies with surgeons, hospital staff and/or patients as appropriate;
- Make rounds and write notes daily on patients; and
- Assist in the operating room
We prefer a PA for this position, and believe that at least two (2) prior years’ experience with trauma care and/or critical care would be ideal. Because there are no residents on the Trauma service, PAs have opportunities to assist surgeons in the operating room and perform procedures as delegated by the supervising surgeon, such as wound repair, tube thoracostomies, and arterial and central line placement. PAs will need to complete Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS), ACLS and PALS training, if not currently certified.
ASA is a multi-specialty surgery group offering a great work environment, competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package that includes paid time off, CME allowance with paid CME time and professional liability coverage..
Please forward Letters of Interest and CV to: Jeffrey P. Salomone, MD, FACS, Trauma Medical Director - Advanced Surgical Associates
Banner Health is one of the largest non-profit health care systems in the country with twenty-eight hospitals (15 in Arizona), six long term care centers and an array of other services, including primary care and specialty clinics, home care services and home medical equipment, in six Western states and is recognized for its leadership and dedication to the communities we serve. In addition, Banner Health and University of Arizona Health Network have come together to form Banner – University Medicine, a health system anchored in Phoenix and Tucson that makes the highest level of care accessible to Arizona residents. At the heart of this merger is academic medicine; research, teaching and patient care – across three academic medical centers.
We welcome you to explore the opportunity to be a key contributor within our award-winning network of hospitals, clinics, research facilities and physician practices.
As an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, Banner University Medical Group (BUMG) recognizes the power of a diverse community and encourages applications from individuals with varied experiences and backgrounds. BUMG is an EEO/AA - M/W/D/V Employer.