Medical and Clinical Laboratory Assistant/Technician Job In Palmetto Bay, Florida
Lab TechnicianNext Steps... Apply Now
PRIMARY FUNCTION: Performance of all approved laboratory procedures and testing.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports directly to the Laboratory Manager.
SUPERVISORTY RESPONSIBILITIES: None.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Requires full range of body motion including handling and lifting patient’s, manual and finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination. Requires standing and walking for extensive periods of time. Occasionally lifts and carries item weighing up to 50 pounds. Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range. Frequent exposure to communicable diseases or bodily fluids, toxic substances, ionizing radiation, medical preparations and other conditions common to an office environment.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB: (This list may not include all of the duties that may be assigned.)
- Performance of laboratory procedures in Chemistry, Hematology, Urinalysis, Serology and Microbiology.
- Perform phlebotomy: including venipuncture, finger sticks and heel sticks.
- Reviews and signs the Laboratory Policy & Procedure Manual annually. Understands and follows proper laboratory testing techniques outlined in the manual
- Reports laboratory results correctly, accurately and in a timely manner to the healthcare provider; alerting the healthcare provider and following protocol for any critical or out of range values.
- Keeps the laboratory and work area clean and in compliant with OSHA/Safety standards.
- Performance and documentation of daily/weekly/monthly quality control and instrument maintenance.
- Perform proficiency surveys, documentation and review of results in a timely manner.
- Assist the Laboratory Manager and Laboratory Supervisor with training of co-workers in lab procedures.
- Clerical duties including preparation of send out specimens, charting of results and maintaining the LIS. (Laboratory Information System).
- Maintain inventory of lab supplies, reorder and stock supplies of assigned area.
Education:High School Diploma or equivalent. Graduation from an accredited Medical Assistant / LPN Program or equivalent.
Licensure: Prefer license: Medical Assistant
Prefer license: State of FL Clinical Laboratory Technician
Prefer license: phlebotomist.
Experience: One year experience in a Medical Office setting. Prefer experienced in laboratory procedures, phlebotomy and EHR.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Knowledge of laboratory quality control requirements. Knowledge of universal precaution procedures in medical safety practices. Skilled in phlebotomy. Ability to communicate with physician staff to efficiently order testing and notify abnormal results. Ability to react calmly to stressful situations. Ability to organize tasks. Knowledge of basic medical terminology. Ability to assess emergency situations and act accordingly. Maintain effective working relationships with patients, employees and the public. Active CPR certification required.
Beautiful beaches, golfing, fishing, kayaking, dancing, dining, sailing, shopping...
We have it all! Florida offers a lifestyle that suits every taste, and our physicians take full advantage of life in the sunshine. Physicians at Pediatric Associates enjoy family friendly neighborhoods and great schools as much as they enjoy the exciting nightlife and dining scene of places like South Beach. Pediatric Associates has locations throughout South Florida and Tampa.
Pediatric Associates is one of the oldest and most respected pediatric practices in the United States. Founded in 1955, Pediatric Associates opened its first office in Hollywood, Florida. Since then, our physicians have cared for four generations of families with our first patients now bringing their children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren to our practice. The company was one of the first medical groups to introduce satellite office locations staffed by multiple physicians. We were also one of the first pediatric groups to embrace managed care in the 1970s, collaborating with insurance plans as healthcare partners with the common interest of providing South Florida's children with the best healthcare available.
Currently, our 28 neighborhood locations are staffed by more than 180 providers who proudly serve families throughout Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach and St. Lucie counties.