Clerical/General Office Job In Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Unit Clerk - Emergency DepartmentNext Steps... Apply Now
PURPOSE OR MISSION: Responsible for the clerical and administrative activities on a unit, fulfilling or communicating customer request, data entry and the facilitation of communication between patient care team members. Job is performed to meet the needs of the age population served, as defined in the department’s scope of service.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS include, but are not limited to:
1. Prepares, compiles, and maintains unit records.
- Accurately prepares forms and maintains files required for daily unit functioning including admissions, transfers or discharges.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of documentation procedures, chart forms, and medical/pharmaceutical terminology.
- Provides accurate change-of-shift report and clarifies ambiguous information.
- Ensures medical record is current and fully supplied with appropriate forms.
- Ensures all forms utilized are fully completed, signed appropriately, and routed according to policy.
- Accurately Maintains patient information.
2. Maintains unit supplies and equipment to ensure unit efficiency.
- Maintains a well equipped, organized nursing station.
- Ensures appropriate charge capture and assist Unit Manager in tracking lost charges.
- Orders, stocks, and maintains supplies in-patient care area.
- Retrieves medications from pharmacy and/or tube system; and either puts in designated place in medication room or hands to approved caregiver in accordance with BRGMC policy.
3. Participates in the admission and discharge processes.
- Communicates all pending admissions to the appropriate unit staff.
- Receives and assists patients and visitors to the unit in accordance with RIGHT TOUCH values.
- Enters patient data into the computer and initiates patient record with 100% accuracy.
- Accurately enters discharge data into record and notifies appropriate department(s) and staff.
- Ensures the appropriate department receives medical records in a timely manner and in accordance with policy.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Two years experience in a healthcare setting preferred.
SPECIAL SKILL, LICENSE AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
Computer experience and clerical skills preferred.
Maintains knowledge of and adherence to all applicable HIPAA regulations appropriate to Job Position including but not limited to: Medical records without limitation both paper and electronic, patient demographics, lab and radiology results, patient information related to surgery or appointment schedules, information related to patient location, religious beliefs, public health records, patient financial information, 3rd party billing, and/or patient-related complaints.
Maintains knowledge of and adherence to all applicable safety practices appropriate to Job Position including but not limited to: Incident reporting, handling of wastes, sharps and linen, PPE, exposure control plans, hand washing, environment of care, patient identification, transporting medications and blood, and monitoring clinical alarms.
After more than 115 years, we’ve come to appreciate what makes Baton Rouge special. Through historic changes in medicine, extraordinary developments in equipment and technology, and momentous shifts in demographics and community needs, Baton Rouge General has been a part of our community’s landscape for generations.
As people live longer, healthier lives, and as technology creates new opportunities for care, we remain committed to serving the people of Baton Rouge while embracing the new world of healthcare to create exceptional experiences and value for our patients.
With 588 licensed beds between two campuses, Baton Rouge General offers care from the neonatal intensive care unit to hospice. From our acclaimed Regional Burn Center, to our award-winning cancer program and heart services, our experienced team of professionals is here to get you healthier.