Non-Clinical Entry Level Job In Portsmouth, Rhode Island
Summer Youth Counselor: Portsmouth - (Portsmouth, Rhode Island, United States)Next Steps... Apply Now
Business: Boys Town
As a Summer Youth Counselor, you have the ability to impact a youth’s life in just one summer. You may experience the emotion of watching a kid start to believe in their self through a life skills project, or even bond over a small connection such as a creative culinary interest. This job is a fantastic learning opportunity if you are interested in working with youth and can be considered an internship through several colleges.
Schedule: 20 hours/week, Monday to Friday
Start Date: Late May/Early June; we can be flexible based on your schedule
Required Training Dates: June 7-10, 2021
- Trains and supervises youth in a variety of activities, including work-related, recreational, and academic that develop life skills.
- Ensures youth safety by encouraging proper use of tools and appropriate peer relations; reports self-harm concerns.
- Assesses expectations of site and conducts appropriate training for youth.
- Evaluates and reports youth progress; meets and communicates with appropriate personnel regarding youth progress.
- Attends training to improve knowledge and implement the Youth Care Program.
- Performs activities as assigned in both indoor and outdoor settings.
- May transport youth, tools, and equipment as needed.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Previous experience, preferably with youth care.
- Individuals who provide transportation must possess a valid driver's license with a good driving record and pass an annual Motor Vehicle Registration (MVR) check.
- Ability to communicate in an articulate, professional manner while maintaining necessary degree of confidentiality.
- Ability to build and sustain trust to facilitate successful, professional relationships.
- Ability to quickly make decisions in sensitive and sometimes critical areas and to adapt responses to situations while maintaining procedural and regulatory integrity.
- Knowledge of Boys Town Model.
- Ability to successfully lead youth in the completion of tasks and redirect inappropriate youth behaviors.
Since opening in 1991, Boys Town New England services and programs touch the lives of 8,000 children and families in each year.
The opportunity to shape the future of America’s youth is only one of the many perks here at Boys Town New England. Our work culture recognizes the importance of furthering your education, and in order to do so we offer a number of tuition assistance and scholarship opportunities to make it happen. We also recognize the significance of being involved with our community, which means our team participates number of events such as the Newport Marathon, our annual Spirit of Youth Gala and a Christmas tree lighting on our own campus. We want to support and celebrate you as a member of our Boys Town family through all-staff cookouts, generous time off for vacation and an emphasis on leadership development here on the beautiful east coast.
February 22, 2021
What would happen if you could ?improve circumstances for those who are suffering from abuse, addiction, abandonment or violence, so they could reach their potential?
That is the question Boys Town has spent a century answering. It is what inspired and drove our founder, Father Edward J. Flanagan, and it continues to motivate our mission to this day.
Boys Town believes today, as our founder did 100 years ago, that every child deserves a future, every family deserves to stay together and every community deserves to thrive. And we believe that all of these things should be achievable without regard to race, religion or background.
So, for the young man dodging gunfire on the streets just to get to school, the family torn apart by substance abuse, and the community crumbling from neglect and social disorder, Boys Town offers hope. But we offer hope as more than just an abstract concept; we substantiate it with programs and solutions grounded in our deep experience and supported by our decades of research.
Though we have grown to become a national organization that reaches communities from coast to coast, and our scope has expanded to include in-home family counseling, health care and programs to rebuild at-risk schools, Boys Town remains forever driven by our founder’s singular vision. And with your help, we will do so well into our second century and beyond.