Social Worker Job In Des Moines, Iowa
In-Home Family Services Consultant - (Des Moines, Iowa, United States)Next Steps... Apply Now
Business: Boys Town
$1000 HIRING BONUS
In a career as an In-Home Family Services Consultant - School Specialist, you have the ability to change a family’s life. Every family has its problems, but some families’ problems threaten their very existence. Our team works to overcome such issues as drug and alcohol addiction, domestic abuse, adolescent defiance, and behavioral challenges as they strive to keep struggling families together. Your work here will not only be life-changing but lifesaving.
- Develops and maintains effective working relationships with families and with community service resources, including medical professionals, public welfare personnel, lawyers, therapists, law enforcement staff, school officials, neighbors, and religious and youth organization representatives utilizing referral sources as necessary.
- Provides training and support in the development and utilization of functional skills to families with problems and individuals associated with the families.
- Assesses problems and provides care to youth and families; monitors individual and family progress in the attainment of predetermined goals providing regular review and update of service plans.
- Maintains appropriate level of direct contact with families per program requirements, and remains available to families 24/7, for crisis intervention as needed.
- Provides consumers, including school personnel and others working with children served by the program, training in the management of difficult behaviors.
- Assists families in building on their spiritual and religious beliefs or practices as a source of strength to reach their goals.
- Meets with families and children at various locations; utilizes own vehicle to travel to work destinations and to transport youth as authorized.
- Bachelor's degree in the Behavioral Sciences, Human Services, or related fields.
- Preferred fluent ability to speak, read and write both English and Spanish.
- 1 to 2 years of experience including working with children and families; experience working with children and families in community-based programs or Boys Town Programs preferred.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license with a good driving record, plus the ability to provide own transportation (mileage reimbursed) with a valid auto liability insurance policy to complete travel requirements of the job. Must meet auto insurance requirements established by Boys Town policy and/or state and local laws
- This position is available to provide crisis response and must be available to work non-traditional business hours including early mornings, nights, weekends, and holidays
About Boys Town Iowa:
Since opening in 1989, Boys Town Iowa has focused on meeting the needs of youth and families through a variety of programs and services. We have continued to expand our services, and now serve more than 1,100 families and 2,200 children in Iowa each year. Our employees are our #1 supporters when it comes to achieving Boys Town's mission, which is why we are proud of their commitment to making the world a better place for children, families, patients, and communities. Unique perks to Boys Town employees and their families include free visits to Boys Town physicians and free prescriptions under the Boys Town Medical Plan, tuition assistance, parenting resources from our experts and professional development opportunities within the organization, just to name a few. Working at Boys Town is more than just a job, it is a way of life.
About Boys Town:
Regardless of a person's background, race, or religion, Boys Town believes that everyone deserves the chance to reach their full potential. For 100 years, Boys Town has helped thousands of children and families. We don’t give up on kids and are committed to helping those who have failed in other systems. We do this by working to keep children and families safe, in their homes, in school, and out of the system. We give them the second chances they deserve. And we see the success of this work every day. From our start in 1917, we’re poised to make even greater strides forward as we lead the way in changing how America cares for children, families and communities for the next 100 years.
Date Posted: April 23, 2021
This advertisement describes the general nature of work to be performed and does not include an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, or abilities required. Boys Town is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in the E-Verify program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. To request a disability-related accommodation in the application process, contact us at 1-877-639-6003.
What would happen if you could ?improve circumstances for those who are suffering from abuse, addiction, abandonment or violence, so they could reach their potential?
That is the question Boys Town has spent a century answering. It is what inspired and drove our founder, Father Edward J. Flanagan, and it continues to motivate our mission to this day.
Boys Town believes today, as our founder did 100 years ago, that every child deserves a future, every family deserves to stay together and every community deserves to thrive. And we believe that all of these things should be achievable without regard to race, religion or background.
So, for the young man dodging gunfire on the streets just to get to school, the family torn apart by substance abuse, and the community crumbling from neglect and social disorder, Boys Town offers hope. But we offer hope as more than just an abstract concept; we substantiate it with programs and solutions grounded in our deep experience and supported by our decades of research.
Though we have grown to become a national organization that reaches communities from coast to coast, and our scope has expanded to include in-home family counseling, health care and programs to rebuild at-risk schools, Boys Town remains forever driven by our founder’s singular vision. And with your help, we will do so well into our second century and beyond.