Emergency Medical Technician Job In Rolla, Missouri
ED TechnicianNext Steps... Apply Now
Rolla, Missouri 65401 Type of Facility: Hospital
- Under the general supervision of the Director of Emergency Services with direct leadership oversight by the Shift Manager, the Emergency Department Technician – Level 1 performs direct and indirect patient care activities.
- Performs all aspects of assigned tasks and patient care activities to improve quality outcomes, enhance patient safety, and to provide accurate information to healthcare team members and the patient and their family thus supporting the Mission and Vision of Phelps Health. Patient care activities are conducted in accordance with standards identified in facility policy and procedures and consistent with applicable licensing/governing authorities.
- Performs direct patient care activities including vital signs, 12-lead EKGs, specimen collection, point-of-care testing (glucometer),activities of daily living (dressing, bathing, grooming, hygiene, toileting, feeding, and mobility supports), splinting, crutch training; backboard, cervical collar and KED applications/removals; simple wound care and dressings; set-up and assist with medical exams and procedures; and monitor physical restraints.
- Performs indirect patient care activities such as transportation within and outside the department, placing bedside monitoring onto and off patient, answering call lights at desk or bedside, participates in stocking activities, cleaning patient rooms and related care areas.
- May also function as ED Lead Tech. The Lead Tech position facilitates communication and task completion throughout the Emergency Department. The lead tech should be able to assist the team to problem solve, multi-task and provide direction in a respectful manner.
- Works independently, meets commitments and deadlines, accepts accountability for actions, keeps information organized and accessible, manages time well, maintains a clean and functional work area, handles change, stays focused and performs well under pressure.
- Communicates effectively with patients, visitors and staff in a manner that reduces barriers, overcomes conflicts through use of de-escalation technique, and shares pertinent patient information such as status changes among healthcare team members. Professionally greets patients and visitors and coordinates their flow to the appropriate waiting areas or ensures they are directed to the correct staff persons. Demonstrates use of Phelps Health Standards of Behaviors (outlined below).
- Documents all pertinent and relevant information into the patient’s medical record in a timely and professional manner.
- Documents supportive information to ensure responsible stewardship of Phelps Healths goals and visions.
- Demonstrates competencies through participation in required facility and departmental education, competency testing, quality audits (includes Core Measures, regulatory and facility/department data collections) and council participation. Utilizes those competency standards to guide care provision (including infection prevention, hand hygiene, safe handling and lifting).
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- One year experience in direct patient caregiving roles preferred.
- Certification as PCA/CNA preferred.
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support required.
- Class E Missouri driving license within 90 days of hire as applicable.
- CEVO certification completed within 90 days of hire or as certification classes allow.
- Considerable mental concentration required. Lifting up to 35 lbs., turning activities and nearly constant walking required. Standing, turning, carrying, pushing, pulling, stooping, crouching, twisting, and reaching.
- Intermittent predictable risk of exposure to infectious disease and hostile persons. Frequent exposure to infectious or communicable disease via blood and other body fluids. Occasional exposure to radiation. Intermittent predictable risk of exposure to anti-neoplastic agents. Frequently works with sharps and other potentially bio-hazardous materials.
Phelps Health, one of the largest employers in the region, is seeking talented people who are committed to integrity, compassion, innovation and philanthropy. Phelps Health has a variety of job opportunities available, including clinical positions, such as nurses and care providers, as well as non-clinical careers, such as support staff. All of our employees make a difference in the patient experience, no matter what role they serve. Find your career at Phelps Health today.