Medical and Clinical Laboratory Assistant/Technician Job In Rolla, Missouri
Laboratory AssistantNext Steps... Apply Now
Rolla, Missouri 65401 Type of Facility: Hospital
- The Laboratory Assistant I performs specific pre-analytical, analytical and post analytical tasks.
- Prioritizes incoming specimens and processes in accordance with the department safety and OSHA guidelines. Reviews pending log during and at end of shift.
- Reviews orders received for accuracy of physician request and integrity of specimen collected. Generates labels and attaches them accurately to specimen/ blood samples always reviewing name on specimen with order or reprint.
- Distributes all specimens in a timely manner, notifying the performing technologist of any STAT, Urgent or ASAP orders and processing them as such to achieve or exceed the established turn-around times. Resolves any processing conflicts with orders, notifying unit of any necessary re-draws and arranging for re-collection.
- Prioritizes workload to assure priority of testing request is met. Do microbiology setups when assigned to work the second or third shifts.
- Answers phone in specimen processing, relaying messages to the technologists or answering questions regarding status of testing.
- Output meets normals as met by majority of peers. Performs all required quality control, notifying supervisor of any values that do not meet set criteria. Uses good Safety Practices.
- Demonstrates appropriate skills and ability based on scope of practice, level of training to assess and care for patient’s age specific needs. Collects chain of custody drug screens.
- Researches orders for reference work, comparing with order to assure correct test was ordered. Reviews each specimen for proper type, volume required and storage requirements and processing and accessions accordingly. Orders reference laboratory supplies as needed and maintains adequate stock. Daily, reviews pending reference test list and resolves any problems with overdue or missing specimens.
- Generates batches for specimen pickup and reviews and receives batches from Outreach Laboratory. Maintains a neat and clean work area: stocks storage area with supplies and inventories as necessary. Cleans glassware, equipment, and small instruments. Receives orders from the storeroom and distributes to the various area.
- Collects adequate and correct specimens containing all necessary information with least amount of trauma to patient. Always follows protocol for collection (checking wrist band, asking patient’s name, verifying date of birth on OP). Performs arterial punctures. Specimens collected accurately and timely within stated guidelines.
- Reviews pending log during and at end of shift. Reviews all Out-patient orders for completeness. Blood culture contamination rate 3%. Enters collection fees and all specimen comments as needed. Uses good Safety Practices.
- Demonstrates appropriate skills and ability based on scope of practice, level of training to assess and care for patient’s age specific needs. Provides proper instructions for patients for urine collection and diet restrictions.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- One year experience as a phlebotomist or as lab assistant required.
- None required, PBT (ASCP) preferred.
- Close mental and visual attention required for short periods of time. 50% of time spent standing and walking throughout department and facility. Must be able to lift and/or carry up to 20 lbs.
- Constant exposure to infectious material. Works in air-conditioned environment with moderate noise level. May be required to work any time of day.
Phelps Health, one of the largest employers in the region, is seeking talented people who are committed to integrity, compassion, innovation and philanthropy. Phelps Health has a variety of job opportunities available, including clinical positions, such as nurses and care providers, as well as non-clinical careers, such as support staff. All of our employees make a difference in the patient experience, no matter what role they serve. Find your career at Phelps Health today.