Maintenance Job In Omaha, Nebraska
Grounds Maintenance Specialist - (Omaha, Nebraska, United States)Next Steps... Apply Now
Business: Boys Town
In a career as a Grounds Maintenance Specialist, your behind-the-scenes work is what leads to making the magic of our mission come true every day. Boys Town serves thousands of children and their families around the United States, which means that we need you to keep our operations running smoothly and efficiently. No matter your role at Boys Town, you contribute to helping us change the future of America's youth.
Schedule: Typical working schedule, Monday through Friday, 6:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., and on call for snow removal.
Participates in the production, maintenance, and clean-up of grounds and facilities.
- Maintains plot garden areas, including tilling, planting, and fertilizing; may plan and order supplies for produce gardens.
- Maintains landscaped areas, flower beds, and interior plants, and assists with habitat and lake maintenance and with greenhouse operations.
- Maintains fruit tree and orchard production including pruning trees for proper growth and repair and removes hazardous trees and limbs.
- Controls growth of unwanted species of weeds and grass by weeding, cultivating, and trimming; identifies the need for, applies, maintains, and properly disposes of chemical pesticide.
- Operates grounds maintenance equipment including zero turn and large area mowers, tractors, front end loaders, and chainsaws from the basket of a boom truck; drives Boys Town vehicle as needed to complete duties of the job.
- Maintains equipment, including sharpening blades, replacing belts and bearings, and completing tune ups.
- Prunes trees for proper growth and removes trees as needed.
- Performs general building maintenance and removes snow, ice, and other debris as needed; utilizes plow, loader, blade, blower and shovel.
- Cleans livestock barns and equipment and assists with livestock feed rationing, breeding, and ensuring appropriate animal health care; examines livestock to detect symptoms of illness or injury; treats minor injuries and ailments, and vaccinates all farm animals.
- Supervises youth grounds and landscaping projects and activities as needed.
Serves as a role model in carrying out the Father Flanagan's Boys' Home mission.
- High school diploma or equivalent is preferred.
- Previous experience in grounds maintenance or agriculture.
- Must possess a valid driver's license with a good driving record and pass an annual Motor Vehicle Registration (MVR) check.
- This position is on-call (continuously or rotationally) to provide support. Available to work evenings, weekends, and holidays if needed.
State of Nebraska certified pesticide and herbicide applicator license is required within 90 days of hire. Will be certified in house post hire to operate boom truck, forklift, and front-end loader. *Boys Town will pay for the license and certification!
About Boys Town:
Boys Town has been changing the way America cares for children and families since 1917. With over a century of service, our employees have helped us grow from a small boardinghouse in downtown Omaha, Nebraska, into one of the largest national child and family care organizations in the country. With the addition of Boys Town National Research Hospital in 1977, our services branched out into the health care and research fields, offering even more career opportunities to those looking to make a real difference.
Our employees are our #1 supporters when it comes to achieving Boys Town's mission, which is why we are proud of their commitment to making the world a better place for children, families, patients, and communities. Unique perks to Boys Town employees and their families include free visits to Boys Town physicians and free prescriptions under the Boys Town Medical Plan, tuition assistance, parenting resources from our experts and professional development opportunities within the organization, just to name a few. Working at Boys Town is more than just a job, it is a way of life.
Date Posted: September 9, 2021
This advertisement describes the general nature of work to be performed and does not include an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, or abilities required. Boys Town is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in the E-Verify program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status. To request a disability-related accommodation in the application process, contact us at 1-877-639-6003.
What would happen if you could ?improve circumstances for those who are suffering from abuse, addiction, abandonment or violence, so they could reach their potential?
That is the question Boys Town has spent a century answering. It is what inspired and drove our founder, Father Edward J. Flanagan, and it continues to motivate our mission to this day.
Boys Town believes today, as our founder did 100 years ago, that every child deserves a future, every family deserves to stay together and every community deserves to thrive. And we believe that all of these things should be achievable without regard to race, religion or background.
So, for the young man dodging gunfire on the streets just to get to school, the family torn apart by substance abuse, and the community crumbling from neglect and social disorder, Boys Town offers hope. But we offer hope as more than just an abstract concept; we substantiate it with programs and solutions grounded in our deep experience and supported by our decades of research.
Though we have grown to become a national organization that reaches communities from coast to coast, and our scope has expanded to include in-home family counseling, health care and programs to rebuild at-risk schools, Boys Town remains forever driven by our founder’s singular vision. And with your help, we will do so well into our second century and beyond.