RN Job In Omaha, Nebraska
Pre-Admissions Nurse - (Omaha, Nebraska, United States)Next Steps... Apply Now
Business: Boys Town National Research Hospital
$10,000 HIRING BONUS!
Job Summary: In a career as a Pre Admission Nurse, you join us in changing the way America cares for children and families. The Pre-Admissions Nurse works under the general supervision of the Pre-Admissions Nurse Supervisor. The Pre-Admission nurse utilizes a systematic approach to nursing practice incorporating assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation. Provides continuing health care and education to individuals and families to help them achieve their optimal level of health, and plays a key role in assessing, preparing, and coordinating patient care prior to their surgery.
Schedule: Full Time, Monday- Friday; 10:30am - 7:00pm. Location: Boys Town Nation Research Hospital -East Hospital, North 30th St., Omaha, NE.
• In collaboration with other members of the health care team, the Pre-Admissions Nurse uses the nursing process to complete the preoperative physical, cognitive, spiritual and psychosocial assessment of patients awaiting surgery.
• Initiates contact with the patient/family when surgery scheduling is complete. Performs a thorough assessment of the patient's medical history and current health status, including a complete accounting of the patient's current medications. Documents all pertinent information in SIS and Next Gen.
• Ensures completion of all pre-op testing, history and physical, pre-op orders, and pre-op patient education. Serves as a liaison between the primary physician, anesthesia, and the Surgery Center.
• Accountable for obtaining pertinent information and reports (H&P, lab, EKG, etc.) from the physician offices. Reviews the information and consults with anesthesia and/or surgeon for any issues or concerns relating to appropriateness of performing surgery at BTNRH, according to anesthesia criteria for such review.
• Enters physician orders for surgery into the EHR, based on respective physician orders. Verifies that the correct surgery, including site and side, is scheduled and that all pre-admission orders have been entered.
• Educates patient regarding their upcoming surgery; including time of surgery and their pre-op instructions. Reviews any pertinent information with anesthesia and/or surgeon, as needed.
• Assures appropriate information management and documentation using the nursing process in accordance with hospital OR policy; communicates with other members of the health care team.
• Communicates closely with the Surgery Scheduling department keeping updated on newly scheduled surgeries.
• Participates in staff meetings. Serves as a resource to Surgery Center staff.
• Maintains "The Joint Commission" standards on an ongoing basis, and assists in unit responsibilities for readiness for "The Joint Commission" visits.
• Participates in department performance improvement activities involving other staff members as appropriate, and posts results for staff to review.
• Serves on hospital or system committees as assigned; maintains two-way communication between Surgery Center staff and assigned committee.
• Other Duties: This job description incorporates the essential functions and duties required for this position. However, other duties may be required and assigned at times and as determined by a supervisor in order to meet the needs of the organization.
• A registered nurse who is a graduate of an accredited school with a current state license.
• Minimum of two years of experience in an acute hospital setting with pediatric experience preferred.
• Experience in a perioperative clinical setting with knowledge of surgical procedures and anesthesia types.
• Experience in scheduling surgery, or working in an admissions department, is preferred.
• Experience working in the operating room is preferred.
• Must be CPR certified.
About Boys Town National Research Hospital:
Boys Town has been changing the way America cares for children and families since 1917. With over a century of service, our employees have helped us grow from a small boardinghouse in downtown Omaha, Nebraska, into one of the largest national child and family care organizations in the country. With the addition of Boys Town National Research Hospital in 1977, our services branched out into the health care and research fields, offering even more career opportunities to those looking to make a real difference.
Our employees are our #1 supporters when it comes to achieving Boys Town's mission, which is why we are proud of their commitment to making the world a better place for children, families, patients, and communities. Unique perks to Boys Town employees and their families include free visits to Boys Town physicians and free prescriptions under the Boys Town Medical Plan, tuition assistance, parenting resources from our experts and professional development opportunities within the organization, just to name a few. Working at Boys Town is more than just a job, it is a way of life.
Date Posted: September 10, 2021
Boys Town National Research Hospital is a tobacco free campus. This advertisement describes the general nature of work to be performed and does not include an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, or abilities required. Boys Town is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in the E-Verify program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, age, disability or veteran status. To request a disability-related accommodation in the application process, contact us at 1-877-639-6003.
What would happen if you could ?improve circumstances for those who are suffering from abuse, addiction, abandonment or violence, so they could reach their potential?
That is the question Boys Town has spent a century answering. It is what inspired and drove our founder, Father Edward J. Flanagan, and it continues to motivate our mission to this day.
Boys Town believes today, as our founder did 100 years ago, that every child deserves a future, every family deserves to stay together and every community deserves to thrive. And we believe that all of these things should be achievable without regard to race, religion or background.
So, for the young man dodging gunfire on the streets just to get to school, the family torn apart by substance abuse, and the community crumbling from neglect and social disorder, Boys Town offers hope. But we offer hope as more than just an abstract concept; we substantiate it with programs and solutions grounded in our deep experience and supported by our decades of research.
Though we have grown to become a national organization that reaches communities from coast to coast, and our scope has expanded to include in-home family counseling, health care and programs to rebuild at-risk schools, Boys Town remains forever driven by our founder’s singular vision. And with your help, we will do so well into our second century and beyond.