Information Technology Job In Omaha, Nebraska
Software Engineer - (Omaha, Nebraska, United States)Next Steps... Apply Now
Business: Boys Town
As one of the largest national child and family care organizations in the country, and one of the leading research hospitals in the country, the Boys Town team is currently looking for a Software Engineer who can help develop and modernize Boys Town applications. In this position you'll be working alongside youth care, and business departments, along with other software engineers to develop software to support Boys Town's core programs and promote Boys Town services. The position is looking for a qualified individual with full stack experience, from modern front-end skills to backend API design skills. This staff member will focus on developing web applications and working with content management systems.
- Code, test and develop complex software applications to support organizational requirements.
- Develops new web applications based on system specifications and requirements; presents analysis, designs, and prototypes.
- Writes and performs unit testing to ensure quality control.
- Follows an Agile Methodology.
- Participates and leads the team in establishing and maintaining coding standards.
- Determines operational feasibility through problem definition and analysis and recommends solutions.
- Oversees the strategy of CI/CD pipeline integration as well as automated testing practices. Coordinates efforts to apply code repository branching best practices.
- Design, maintain, and monitor database structures for core systems and related systems to ensure data integrity and eliminate data redundancies.
- Coordinates project activities with internal staff, software vendors, and other users to meet system objectives.
- Develops and maintains high customer satisfaction while working in partnership with vendors, cross-functional teams and management.
- Cultivates data for business insight via organizational reporting tools
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Working knowledge of containers and cloud-based strategies.
- Proficient in writing unit test using unit testing framework, such as Jest, Enzyme, or Sinon.
- UI/UX experience, knowledge of browser/platform/device compatibility and responsive and adaptive design and development principles.
- Proficiency with maintaining version control, BitBucket or equivalent.
- Experience developing Restful web services and APIs with a compiled language like C#, NodeJS.
- Experience working in an Agile environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate both written and verbally with senior level staff.
- High level of professionalism, customer service, integrity, communication, and problem-solving skills.
- Strong knowledge of relational databases (e.g. SQL Server, PostgreSQL), including complex queries and T-SQL. Or non-relational databases (MongoDB).
- Experience working with reporting tools, such as Microsoft Power BI, Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services, or other reporting tool equivalent is a plus.
- Experience with building prototypes using tools like Adobe Creative Cloud, especially Adobe XD is a plus.
- Experience with a content management system, such as EpiServer, Drupal, WordPress is a plus.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, related area, or equivalent.
- 3 to 5 years of experience, including systems development, programming, analytics, and database administration.
- May require on-call work to provide additional support and may require work to be performed outside of traditional business hours including early mornings, nights, weekends, and holidays.
- High level of professionalism and interpersonal skills. Excellent critical thinking, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to communicate in an articulate, professional manner.
- Ability to translate complex data into understandable conclusions and recommendations.
- Ability to deliver predefined outcomes with little supervision.
- Strong knowledge of SQL databases structures, reading and writing SQL statements, normalizing databases, and query performance tuning.
- High level of professionalism and interpersonal skills, including teamwork, facilitation, and excellent critical thinking skills.
About Boys Town:
Boys Town has been changing the way America cares for children and families since 1917. With over a century of service, our employees have helped us grow from a small boardinghouse in downtown Omaha, Nebraska, into one of the largest national child and family care organizations in the country. With the addition of Boys Town National Research Hospital in 1977, our services branched out into the health care and research fields, offering even more career opportunities to those looking to make a real difference.
Our employees are our #1 supporters when it comes to achieving Boys Town's mission, which is why we are proud of their commitment to making the world a better place for children, families, patients, and communities. Unique perks to Boys Town employees and their families include free visits to Boys Town physicians and free prescriptions under the Boys Town Medical Plan, tuition assistance, parenting resources from our experts and professional development opportunities within the organization, just to name a few. Working at Boys Town is more than just a job, it is a way of life.
Date Posted: October 13th, 2021
This advertisement describes the general nature of work to be performed and does not include an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, or abilities required. Boys Town is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in the E-Verify program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status. To request a disability-related accommodation in the application process, contact us at 1-877-639-6003.
What would happen if you could ?improve circumstances for those who are suffering from abuse, addiction, abandonment or violence, so they could reach their potential?
That is the question Boys Town has spent a century answering. It is what inspired and drove our founder, Father Edward J. Flanagan, and it continues to motivate our mission to this day.
Boys Town believes today, as our founder did 100 years ago, that every child deserves a future, every family deserves to stay together and every community deserves to thrive. And we believe that all of these things should be achievable without regard to race, religion or background.
So, for the young man dodging gunfire on the streets just to get to school, the family torn apart by substance abuse, and the community crumbling from neglect and social disorder, Boys Town offers hope. But we offer hope as more than just an abstract concept; we substantiate it with programs and solutions grounded in our deep experience and supported by our decades of research.
Though we have grown to become a national organization that reaches communities from coast to coast, and our scope has expanded to include in-home family counseling, health care and programs to rebuild at-risk schools, Boys Town remains forever driven by our founder’s singular vision. And with your help, we will do so well into our second century and beyond.