Mental Health Counselor Job In Portsmouth, Rhode Island
Residential Counselor - (Portsmouth, Rhode Island, United States)Next Steps... Apply Now
Business: Boys Town
Job Summary :
In a career as an Youth Counselor (Assistant Family-Teacher), you play a big part in making a difference in changing a youth's life. Youth come to the Boys Town Family Home Program for a variety of reasons, such as: family or school issues, abuse, neglect, abandonment, or involvement in the juvenile justice system. You come in by teaching them appropriate social, academic and independent living skills. We strive to give Boys Town Kids the fulfilling lives they deserve.
Schedule: Must be flexible! Work 40-45 hours per week. Typical evening hours 2pm-10pm. Requires staying/sleeping overnights in the home one weekend per month (Friday 2pm through Sunday 10pm).
• Provide direct care for 6-8 at-risk youth in a safe and caring family-style living environment
• Teach youth appropriate skills and behaviors using the Boys Town Model
• Plan and participate in individual and family activities that are both educational and entertaining
• Work in conjunction with an assigned Family-Teaching Couple
• Provide youth with moral, spiritual and educational development needed for future success
• Use problem solving techniques to teach critical thinking and assist youth with behavioral problems
• Assist with youth transportation needs, household upkeep, and daily schedules
• Maintain and prepare written records for household budgeting, tracking youth progress, and reporting incidents or behaviors
Required Qualifications :
• High school diploma or equivalent is required.
• Must be at least 21 years of age.
• Must possess a valid driver's license with a good driving record and pass an annual Motor Vehicle Registration (MVR) check.
• Must have the ability and desire to work and live with youth.
• Must have the willingness to work as a flexible team and work varied hours in order to assist the Family Teaching Couple with youth and home activities.
• Proven record of sound judgment and ability to work with children in a mature and responsible manner.
• Must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care, based on physical, psychological, psycho/social, educational, safety, and related criteria, appropriate to the age of the youth being serviced in his/her assigned service area.
Date Posted: November 22, 2021
This advertisement describes the general nature of work to be performed and does not include an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, or abilities required. Boys Town is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in the E-Verify program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, age, disability or veteran status. To request a disability-related accommodation in the application process, contact us at 1-877-639-6003.
What would happen if you could ?improve circumstances for those who are suffering from abuse, addiction, abandonment or violence, so they could reach their potential?
That is the question Boys Town has spent a century answering. It is what inspired and drove our founder, Father Edward J. Flanagan, and it continues to motivate our mission to this day.
Boys Town believes today, as our founder did 100 years ago, that every child deserves a future, every family deserves to stay together and every community deserves to thrive. And we believe that all of these things should be achievable without regard to race, religion or background.
So, for the young man dodging gunfire on the streets just to get to school, the family torn apart by substance abuse, and the community crumbling from neglect and social disorder, Boys Town offers hope. But we offer hope as more than just an abstract concept; we substantiate it with programs and solutions grounded in our deep experience and supported by our decades of research.
Though we have grown to become a national organization that reaches communities from coast to coast, and our scope has expanded to include in-home family counseling, health care and programs to rebuild at-risk schools, Boys Town remains forever driven by our founder’s singular vision. And with your help, we will do so well into our second century and beyond.