Physician Assistant Job In Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Physician Assistant - Clinician, Preceptor & Clinical FacultyNext Steps... Apply Now
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 15217, United States
Job ID: 47357184
Position Title: Physician Assistant - Clinician, Preceptor & Clinical Faculty
Company Name: Squirrel Hill Health Center
Practice Type: Federally Qualified Health Center
Sector: Pediatric - PA
Entry Level: false
Job Duration: Indefinite
Min Education: Master's Degree
Min Experience: 2-3 Years
Required Travel: None
This is a unique role for a Physician Assistant (PA) clinician, preceptor, and clinical faculty with responsibilities shared between Squirrel Hill Health Center (SHHC) (http://squirrelhillhealthcenter.org/) and Chatham University's (http://www.chatham.edu/) PA program.
The Chatham PA Program, which is part of the School of Health Sciences, is well-established in Pittsburgh since the mid-1990s with a strong network of over 1100 PA alumni across the country. The program is known for its Problem-Based Learning instruction that fosters self-directed learning, confidence, and heightened clinical reasoning skills.
SHHC is a dynamic federally qualified health center that provides patient-driven, high-quality, comprehensive, primary and preventive healthcare and support services, without regard for patient's insurance status or ability to pay.
In this unique partnership, the PA will practice 32 hours per week at SHHC and will provide classroom instruction, student assessment, and curricular development for 8 hours per week to Chatham PA students.
While performing job duties at the SHHC, the PA is an independent clinical practitioner under the direct supervision of the Chief Medical Officer. The PA is a member of the SHHC's clinical team, responsible for office visits at SHHC's sites in Squirrel Hill and Brentwood, mobile medical unit visits, and home visits as appropriate to meet patient needs. This role is solely responsible for pediatric patient care. As part of this role, the PA will precept two Chatham PA students while managing patient care.
- Elicit and record information about patient's medical history.
- Examine patient to determine general physical condition.
- Order or execute various tests, analyses, and diagnostic images to provide information on patient's condition.
- Analyze reports and findings of tests and of examination, and diagnoses condition.
- Administer or prescribe treatments and medications, within the scope of license.
- Inoculate and vaccinate patients to immunize from communicable diseases.
- Advise patients concerning diet, hygiene, and methods for prevention of disease.
- Ensure that medical care is completely and accurately documented in the medical record.
- Maintain and monitor patient confidentiality.
- Report births, deaths, and outbreak of contagious diseases to governmental authorities.
- Refer patients to medical specialists or other practitioners for specialized treatment.
- Perform minor surgery and other procedures commensurate with surgical competency and delineated privileges.
- May make house and emergency calls to attend to patients unable to visit office or clinic at the direction of the Chief Medical Officer.
- May provide care on SHHC's mobile medical unit on a schedule determined by SHHC's Chief Medical Officer.
- May take rotating after hours call with other clinicians at the direction of the SHHC Chief Medical Officer.
- Prepare and sign all forms and charts, including all charting in electronic health record, needed for patient care and billing within one working day.
- Abide by the policies and procedures of the Squirrel Hill Health Center and acts as a positive representative of the center in the community, whether real or virtual.
- Provide hands-on learning under your direct supervision. It is expected that students participate in all aspects of patient care in the outpatient, inpatient and long-term care settings.
- Facilitate student learning by listening to student presentations, questioning the student and providing feedback, and challenging the student to identify areas for improvement.
- Provide at least 32 hours of work/week for two students during the rotation. This is equivalent to 160 hours for the entire 5-week rotation. Two students per rotation will be placed at the clinical site, for a total of 18 students per rotation year.
- Evaluate each student at mid-rotation and end of rotation.
Clinical Instructor - Faculty Responsibilities
- Provide classroom instruction and student assessment as directed by the PD one day per week
- Assist in the development, evaluation, review, and revision of the clinical curricula in specialty
- Master's Degree required
- 3+ years experience preferred in pediatric clinical practice
- 2+ years experience required as clinical preceptor
- Current PA Certification from NCCPA
- Current Pennsylvania Physician Assistant license
- BLS certification
- Participation in Medicare/Medicaid Programs Dashboard
- Enrollment in required managed care and insurance contracts
- Experience with an EMR system
- Flexibility and willingness to work some evenings and weekends.
- Knowledge of a second language preferred.
- Dedication to providing high quality health care to all patients.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability